Winter is insurance claim season for homeowners.
To ensure you keep the chill out and safely enjoy the season we are presenting the following helpful tips:
- Check all your electrical holiday decorations for potential fire hazards such as frayed wires or loose connections. Do not overload the outlets, extension cords or surge protectors.
- Check and clean your heating system to make sure it is in good working condition. Also clean or replace your furnace filter for maximum efficiency.
- Screen or cap your chimney to keep rodents and birds out and have your chimney swept to avoid chimney fires.
- Keep your sidewalks well lit, clear of slippery wet leaves, ice and snow. Service snow removal equipment and have a good supply of sand and salt on hand.
- Protect your roof against heavy snow and ice loads. Keep gutters clean and roof drains open.
- To avoid holiday burglaries secure your home before going away, lock all outbuildings and don’t leave any spare keys in likely hiding places such as under the door mat. Ask a trusted neighbour to keep an eye on your home and reward them for their troubles.